Thursday 19 November 2015

rehearsal reflections

Good progress this morning on the play. I wish we could get a little deeper into things but David's directing style is layered, so we get a bit more each time we work through it. Also it's tough to work very deeply when we're all in varying places of memorization (myself included). I guess overall I prefer to learn and work chunks at a time. I'm quite used to being memorized for rehearsal but usually there's the benefit of working on a scene for an hour or a few right up front so it helps the memorization process solidify before the next time the scene is revisited. I don't know. This process isn't my favorite and I think it's ambitious as our introductory rehearsal process, but oh well. It's coming along and at least David recognizes the work I'm doing on my own. I guess that's what matters to me the most.

I'm so glad we're at the point in the term where our cohort are starting to get real direction and correction from our tutors. I've been waiting for the kind of corrections we've really started to get this week. There is something to be said for "discovery" and in our own time, but that really only gets a person so far, I think. I'm here so I can improve-- being let to continue in bad habits doesn't seem helpful. I don't mean line-reads or anything like that, but I'm a little tired of kind of exclusively exploring. Exploration can go hand-in-hand with the kind of direction that I'm hoping for.

But today makes me feel encouraged. Hoping it's an indication of things to come over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment