Tuesday 3 November 2015

mid-week reflection

Things I feel pretty good at today:

  • What we covered in ballet today-- despite having massage treatment on my hips yesterday (causing my hips to turn to mush when required to work this morning). I have pretty dancer feet. 
  • SINGING-- I feel glorious and capable
  • RP-- I presented a piece for Phyllida from Overruled by G.B. Shaw today and all she said was "Jolly good! You remind me of Helen George." No corrections, and a high compliment!
  • Stretching and movement basics-- I think I've emerged from my "feeling rusty" stage to a place where I think I can start improving again. 
Things I need to work on: 
  • Memorization-- act II from AS YOU LIKE IT; second verse of folk song "The Lark in the Clear Air." 
  • Review-- scene from ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL; act I from AS YOU LIKE IT; sonnet for Simon's class; lyrics of "Perfect;" lyrics of "Just Keep Moving the Line. 
  • Study-- act III from AS YOU LIKE IT; second sonnet for Simon's class.
Extracurricular activities for the week: 
  • Private voice lesson with Kerry. 
  • Wednesday yoga at home.
  • Thursday ballet class at Hippodrome. 
We had a few really good conversations in Workbook yesterday, firstly about our Globe experience and then about our cohort dynamic. I found both conversations incredibly valuable. I love to talk about acting and feel like I don't really get the chance to do that so far. 

I also think our cohort-oriented conversation was important. We get along quite well as a group-- to one degree or another, we do enjoy hanging out socially and we're absolutely invested in each other's progress as actors. That said, there have been some things that a few of us have felt need addressing, particularly a lack of awareness and/or consideration for the betterment of the whole group as an ensemble. It eventually got a bit heated, which I suppose I understand, but the point is: we are all here for the same reason-- to improve ourselves and take every opportunity to do that. Being that we all have the same goal, and we spend at least 9 hours a day together, there requires some give and take to invest in the improvement of the group as an ensemble, and sometimes that means juggling leadership/follower roles and being aware of how your own progress relates to everyone else in the group. That is the main point. I'm curious to see how that develops in the group. Unfortunately, I'm worried at least one member of the group took it the wrong way as he took an opportunity to make a big deal out of a very small moment in one single class today. But I'm only in control of me and how I can contribute to the success of the whole group, as I improve myself. 

I'm excited to be an actor today.

No comments:

Post a Comment